Saturday, May 4, 2013

MAY IS YAM SMELLED BACKWARDS

Today, May 4th is a very special day in history. For those who don’t know or don’t care, Manhattan Island was purchased for $24 in cloth and buttons in 1626. A phonograph was played for the first time at the Grand Opera House in 1878, The Academy of Motion Pictures was founded in 1934 and Al Capone began his residency at Atlanta Penitentiary for tax evasion in 1932. I’m mentioning these days because I presume they have long been forgotten and rightfully so. 

I suppose the only day in this list truly worth celebrating would be the Academy of Motion Pictures.  Happy 79th Anniversary Academy! I plan to watch Bruce Almighty later tonight; it has been expertly stored in my Direct TV Genie HD DVR, waiting a convenient time to be viewed. Today is that convenient, auspicious and celebratory day! There are a few other choices for celebration; after all it is the first Saturday in May.

Today marks the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby, a favorite celebration for horse lovers, gamblers and drinkers. I placed a small bet on Giant Finish at 39 to 1.  I love surprises.

This is also National Pilates Day, another event worth mentioning as an annual, international, community day that is intended to foster the public’s appreciation and awareness of the Pilate Method.  Joseph Pilates developed this physical fitness system in the early 20th century and called it “Contrology”. It involves concentrationology, breathingology, mentalology, postureology  and painfulology. I don’t usually celebrate this day.

The day that truly captures my heart is, World Naked Gardening Day, with the tenth annual being celebrated today. I want to know why I didn’t know about this! People all over the world are encouraged  to tend their garden unclothed as nature intended.  Really? It is believed that WNGD can develop a sense of community (especially with the crowd you will draw), it costs no money, (unless you are cited for public indecency), runs no unwanted risk (obviously they have not considered the presence of assassin bugs or leather beetles and if you swat at them you can be arrested for sexual assault) and reminds us of our tie to the natural world (especially from a swift lash from the branch of a Crape Myrtle).

Celebrators of WNGD encourage you to tell someone about your naked gardening experiences. I felt the need to remain anonymous so I called a random number and talked at length to someone who went by the nickname of, Stalking Sam. We plan to celebrate together next year. He has a lovely garden of Cestrum Nocturnum, which only bloom at night. He said I should bring a couple of friends as well.

We all can think of safety hazards, especially when gardening naked. Since I am a sensible person, I take precautions. I always wear safety goggles  because there is a risk of small particles or neighbor’s old shoes flying through the air. Earplugs are necessary when I operate my loud gardening equipment, I prefer Putty Buddies soft silicone earplugs over the spark plugs brand. I wear gloves to prevent irritations and cuts. I also wear a safety helmet when cutting tree limbs. Sunscreen and insect repellant are a must. I am now ready to do my naked part and make my area of botanical world a healthier and more attractive place.

After only fifteen minutes of gardening, I have decided that I don’t intend to observe this day in the future. My neighbor is selling his house and his real estate agent dropped by. I gave him a wide smile as he strolled around the property. He asked me if I work in the nude often. I explained about World Naked Gardening Day and offered him some lemonade. He didn’t stay long but on his way to his car he came across a Praying Mantis and pointed to it. I told him how much I appreciate them because they keep my garden free of pest insects. Then I wondered out loud as to what the nature of  his prayers might be. Know what he said?

“I believe he is praying that you will go put some clothes on.”









2 comments:

  1. Your neighbor just isn't getting into the spirit of the holiday, is he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for this. Now I have something to consider all day long...

    ReplyDelete